Man in custody for abducting Portsmouth girl

Posted

PORTSMOUTH — The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has arrested a New Jersey man in connection with Wednesday’s disappearance of a 13-year-old Portsmouth girl.

UPDATE: Portsmouth police, the FBI and the Rhode Island State Police will conduct a joint press conference at 3 p.m. today, July 25, at Portsmouth Town Hall.

At about 11 a.m. on Thursday, FBI Special Agent Barbara Woodruff of the Newark, N.J. Division said the suspect is in custody in New Jersey and will appear in federal court in that state this afternoon.

At least one media outlet has reported that the suspect is a male juvenile, but that's incorrect, Agent Woodruff said. She declined to share any more information, saying the FBI will issue a statement later today.

Portsmouth police confirmed this morning that the Amber Alert for Kathryn Botelho, who was seen leaving in a car with a man unknown to her family Wednesday morning, has been canceled. Kathryn was found safe, but police this morning wouldn’t say if she had been reunited with her family this morning.

 

Kathyrn Botelho

Comments

1 comment on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment
eastbaypatriots

Thank Goodness!!!!

Thursday, July 25, 2013 | Report this

2016 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Prudence Island · Riverside · Rumford · Seekonk · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Mike Rego

Mike Rego has worked at East Bay Newspapers since 2001, helping the company launch The Westport Shorelines. He soon after became a Sports Editor, spending the next 10-plus years in that role before taking over as editor of The East Providence Post in February of 2012. To contact Mike to submit information, suggest story ideas or photo opportunities, etc., email mrego@eastbaynewspapers.com.