Police: ‘No threats made’ against Portsmouth High

Police investigated tip that pictures of gun, threat had been posted on Snapchat

Posted 12/9/19

PORTSMOUTH — After investigating an anonymous tip, the Portsmouth Police Department has determined that no threats were made against Portsmouth High School on Sunday.

According to …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Not a subscriber?


Start a Subscription

Sign up to start a subscription today! Click here to see your options.

Purchase a day pass

Purchase 24 hours of website access for $2. Click here to continue

Day pass subscribers

Are you a day pass subscriber who needs to log in? Click here to continue.


Police: ‘No threats made’ against Portsmouth High

Police investigated tip that pictures of gun, threat had been posted on Snapchat

Posted

PORTSMOUTH — After investigating an anonymous tip, the Portsmouth Police Department has determined that no threats were made against Portsmouth High School on Sunday.

According to Detective Lt. John Cahoon, the department received an anonymous tip via the Say Something Anonymous Reporting System (SSARS) on Sunday, in which a party reported concerns over pictures of a firearm and an alleged threat which had been posted via Snapchat, a social media app.

“Officers from the patrol division immediately began an investigation, quickly identifying and then locating the involved parties,” Lt. Cahoon stayed in a press release Monday. “Members of the detective division responded and conducted interviews with the involved parties.”

The detectives thoroughly examined all the evidence and information provided including cellphone and Snapchat data, he stated.

“The investigation determined that no threats had been made by anyone, including verbal or written threats and/or threats with or without a firearm,” He said.

An e-mail had been sent to students and their families by the school department alerting them of the initial report received through SSARS. 

To re-assure the school staff, students and their families, several police officers were present as students and staff arrived to PHS on Monday morning, he said.

Parents notified

Principal Joseph Amaral first noticed parents of the alleged threat in the following e-mail sent out Sunday around 6:45 p.m.:

A message from PORTSMOUTH HIGH SCHOOL

Minutes ago we received a tip concerning one of our students who allegedly made a threat against the school. We are responding and the police have been notified and are currently investigating the threat. We will update you as new information becomes available.

Not long after that e-mail was sent out, another one arrived in parents’ inboxes:

The Portsmouth Police Department has investigated the school threat and determined there is not an imminent danger. Portsmouth police will have a presence on campus tomorrow and the PHS internal safety protocols will be in place to reassure students' safety. I want to thank those students, teachers and parents who "saw something and said something." It is because of this vigilance that actions can be taken to keep our school community safe.

2020 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Mike Rego

Mike Rego has worked at East Bay Newspapers since 2001, helping the company launch The Westport Shorelines. He soon after became a Sports Editor, spending the next 10-plus years in that role before taking over as editor of The East Providence Post in February of 2012. To contact Mike about The Post or to submit information, suggest story ideas or photo opportunities, etc. in East Providence, email mrego@eastbaymediagroup.com.