Owners seek to tear down historic Bristol property

By Christy Nadalin
Posted 11/23/22

An application for a demolition permit is currently in process for a beloved, 1845 Gothic Revival home.

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Not a subscriber?


Start a Subscription

Sign up to start a subscription today! Click here to see your options.

Purchase a day pass

Purchase 24 hours of website access for $2. Click here to continue

Day pass subscribers

Are you a day pass subscriber who needs to log in? Click here to continue.


Owners seek to tear down historic Bristol property

Posted

A nearly 200-year-old home at 135 Ferry Road may have seen its last summer looking out over Bristol Harbor. The current owners, Bettina and Paul Killion, have completed a new house on the lot — a lot which, as currently zoned, does not permit more than one residential structure.

Though the owners initially entertained efforts by building officials and preservationists to come up with solutions, from subdividing the property to finding a buyer willing and able to move the structure, those efforts have not yielded any result to date. The Killions recently applied for a demolition permit.

The Sanford/Simmons house is not part of the Bristol Historic District, and the house itself is not listed in the National Historic District, though it is eligible. It was built in 1845, about 10 years after Sally Sandford and Hannah Simmons inherited part of Hezekiah Sandford’s onion farm. In 1851, this 2 1/2-story, three-bay Gothic Revival cottage with Greek Revival interior details was one of only three properties on the west side of Ferry Road. It is located a few lots north of Blithewold Mansion.

2022 by East Bay Media Group

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Mike Rego

Mike Rego has worked at East Bay Newspapers since 2001, helping the company launch The Westport Shorelines. He soon after became a Sports Editor, spending the next 10-plus years in that role before taking over as editor of The East Providence Post in February of 2012. To contact Mike about The Post or to submit information, suggest story ideas or photo opportunities, etc. in East Providence, email mrego@eastbaymediagroup.com.