Family of Market St. assault victim pleads for ‘justice’

By Ethan Hartley
Posted 10/20/21

The family of a man who was put into a coma and later died from his injuries from an incident that occurred on Market Street in August is calling for authorities to arrest the juvenile perpetrator.

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Not a subscriber?

Start a Subscription

Sign up to start a subscription today! Click here to see your options.

Purchase a day pass

Purchase 24 hours of website access for $2. Click here to continue

Day pass subscribers

Are you a day pass subscriber who needs to log in? Click here to continue.

Family of Market St. assault victim pleads for ‘justice’


The family of a Warren man who died as a result of a violent incident that occurred on Market Street in August insist that they know who killed him, and are increasingly frustrated that the case has remained under investigation without any arrests made.

On Oct. 12 — a month after Richard Raymond, 54, succumbed to his injuries after two weeks in a coma at Rhode Island hospital — friends and family members held a vigil in his honor and pleaded for justice to be served.

“We just want justice,” said Nikki St. Souveur, Raymond’s niece. “I have to listen to my 10-year-old cry every night to go to bed because he misses his uncle, and it breaks my heart. I don’t know what to say to him. Just because somebody wanted to be selfish and take somebody else’s life into their hands.”

The story pieced together from Raymond’s friends and family members goes that Raymond was owed money from a friend he had done work for. While riding his bike up Market Street on Thursday, Aug. 26, he saw the person in question and approached him to discuss the matter. The situation apparently escalated and, allegedly (according to those at the vigil), the man attempted to use his dog to attack Raymond. Shortly after, apparently hearing the commotion, the man’s teenaged son approached and allegedly struck Raymond in the head with an aluminum bat. He never regained consciousness and passed on Sept. 12.

“If they could have seen what they did to my brother, they would understand why it hurts so much,” said Anne-Marie Meigges, Raymond’s sister. “To see him every day, lying there on life support not breathing on his own and his head bleeding. It’s horrible.”

There reportedly exists video footage of the incident that has been taken as evidence from the Bank of America near where the incident took place, but the footage apparently lacked sufficient quality to aid in the investigation thus far. A knife was also recovered at the scene, but police have not made it clear if this belonged to Raymond, the other man in question or the juvenile who was also involved.

Raymond’s family and friends said that he loved to paint and ride his bike, and spend time with friends and family. They said that they are hopeful every day to get a call that the alleged perpetrator has been arrested.

“He’s walking free and my uncle is not…I don’t understand why it’s taking so long,” said St. Souveur. “I think it’s because he’s a minor, but if he made an adult decision, he should get an adult consequence. If an adult had done it, would they have been arrested that night and kept in jail?”

To date, no arrests have been made in the case and the incident remains under investigation with the Rhode Island Attorney General’s Office. Lieutenant Christopher Perreault of the Warren Police Department and the Attorney General’s office both recently confirmed that the investigation was ongoing and that there was no new information publicly available.

According to public court records, Raymond was involved in over a dozen arrests dating back to 1992, including multiple larcenies, multiple drug possession charges, multiple incidents of driving without a valid license and two incidents of misdemeanor assault where he pleaded no contest — one of which occurred in Warren in 2015, and one in Providence in 2008. He received a no contact order for the 2015 offense and a one year suspended sentence with probation for the 2008 incident.

His family insists that justice is not being served while the alleged perpetrator walks free.

“If Richard had done this to that child…my brother would be sitting in prison right now,” Rasmussen said. “He would have been arrested on the spot, but they let that kid walk away while my brother laid on the ground.”


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here

2021 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Scott Pickering

Scott Pickering has been on the East Bay Newspapers team for more than two decades, since starting as a reporter for the Sakonnet Times. He's been editor of most of the papers, was Managing Editor of all the papers for many years, and became General Manager in 2012. Today he can be found posting to, steering news coverage, writing editorials, talking to readers, working with the sales team, collaborating on design, or helping do whatever it takes to get the papers out the door. Reach him at