Intruder, 16, charged after entering Tiverton High School

School placed on lockdown; boy charged after struggle with police

By Ted Hayes
Posted 2/2/23

A 16-year-old boy was arrested Wednesday after police said he entered Tiverton High School without authorization and later scuffled with officers who had detained and brought him to the police …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Register to post events


If you'd like to post an event to our calendar, you can create a free account by clicking here.

Note that free accounts do not have access to our subscriber-only content.

Day pass subscribers

Are you a day pass subscriber who needs to log in? Click here to continue.


Intruder, 16, charged after entering Tiverton High School

School placed on lockdown; boy charged after struggle with police

Posted

A 16-year-old boy was arrested Wednesday after police said he entered Tiverton High School without authorization and later scuffled with officers who had detained and brought him to the police station.

The boy, who is home schooled, was detained after police got an 8:13 a.m. call from a staffer reporting an unwanted person on school grounds. Prior to officers' arrival, school officials said they had received word that the suspect, known to them and to police previously, was in the building. After he was located by a teacher, he was brought to the main office to wait for police. When he became aware that school officials had called law enforcement, he "created a disturbance," Tiverton Police Chief Patrick Jones said, and left the office.

When police arrived they saw the suspect, wearing a black ski mask, black sweatshirt, black pants and a black backpack, walking out of the school. They detained him, after which he told officers there that while he is taking online classes from home, he took the bus to school to hang out with friends. However, police determined from video surveillance footage that he had been driven in a private car.

The boy was arrested and brought to police headquarters to await booking on charges of disturbance of public assembly and disorderly conduct. While he was at the station awaiting booking and the arrival of a parent or guardian, Chief Jones said he became combative — "a struggle ensued resulting in minor injuries to the male and two officers," he said.

Subsequently, police added a second count of disorderly conduct and also charged him with obstruction of an officer. Police also issued a no trespass order.

After being taken to Newport Hospital, the boy appeared in Newport Family Court, where a judge released him to a parent.

2024 by East Bay Media Group

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Mike Rego

Mike Rego has worked at East Bay Newspapers since 2001, helping the company launch The Westport Shorelines. He soon after became a Sports Editor, spending the next 10-plus years in that role before taking over as editor of The East Providence Post in February of 2012. To contact Mike about The Post or to submit information, suggest story ideas or photo opportunities, etc. in East Providence, email mrego@eastbaymediagroup.com.