Fr. William F. Sullivan, SSC, 90, of Bristol

Posted 12/4/19

Fr. William F. Sullivan, SSC, 90, passed away on Nov. 29, 2019. He was born on April 24, 1929, in Lynn, Mass., the son of James Sullivan and Bridie McDonough, who were natives of Ireland. He is …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Not a subscriber?


Start a Subscription

Sign up to start a subscription today! Click here to see your options.

Purchase a day pass

Purchase 24 hours of website access for $2. Click here to continue

Day pass subscribers

Are you a day pass subscriber who needs to log in? Click here to continue.


Fr. William F. Sullivan, SSC, 90, of Bristol

Posted

Fr. William F. Sullivan, SSC, 90, passed away on Nov. 29, 2019. He was born on April 24, 1929, in Lynn, Mass., the son of James Sullivan and Bridie McDonough, who were natives of Ireland. He is survived by his brothers, Edward of Hilton Head, S.C., Leo of Lynn, Mass., Thomas of Swampscott, Mass., Richard of Marshfield, Mass., and sister Ruth Jedrey of Beverly Farms, Mass. Bill was predeceased by his sisters, Anna Nihan and Rita Cotter, and his brothers, James Sullivan and John Sullivan.

Fr. Bill entered St. Columban’s Seminary in Milton, Mass., on Sept. 8, 1948, and was ordained on Dec. 21, 1956, in the Seminary Chapel by Bishop Jeremiah Minihan. He was appointed to the Philippines in 1957 and served in parish work, education and formation until 1994, when he was assigned to the U.S. Region as Superior and Retirement Coordinator of St. Columbans in Bristol, R.I.

Until his retirement, he led an active life helping in local parishes as well as being Chaplain of the Bristol Knights of Columbus for many years. He enjoyed fishing, photography, reading and actively promoting the annual Columban Festival and Bazaar.

Calling hours are Friday, Dec. 6, from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Columban Fathers Chapel, 65 Ferry Road, Bristol, with a Mass of Christian Burial celebrated on Saturday, Dec. 7, at 11 a.m. in the Chapel. Burial will follow in St. Mary’s Cemetery.

www.limafh.com

2020 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Mike Rego

Mike Rego has worked at East Bay Newspapers since 2001, helping the company launch The Westport Shorelines. He soon after became a Sports Editor, spending the next 10-plus years in that role before taking over as editor of The East Providence Post in February of 2012. To contact Mike about The Post or to submit information, suggest story ideas or photo opportunities, etc. in East Providence, email mrego@eastbaymediagroup.com.