The Little Compton Historical Society will host an open house with sleigh rides, displays, gift ideas and more at the Wilbor House Museum from 1 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 12.
• Over 200 antique postcards of Little Compton buildings and scenes will be offered for sale during the event. Many of the postcards were taken by well-known local photographer O.E. Dubois approximately 100-years ago. The postcards are perfect gifts for anyone who loves Little Compton, most especially for homeowners who may see their historic homes pictured on the cards. All of the proceeds from the postcard sales will benefit the Historical Society. Members of the Historical Society are invited to a special Members-Only Preview Hour from Noon until 1PM.
• From 3 to 6 p.m., Little Compton Carriages will offer jingle bell horse and carriage rides around the Historical Society property. ($5 per person)
• Local vendors including authors and craftspeople will be selling their products in the Exhibit Barn throughout the event. Several spots remain at the time of publication and vendors are invited to call the Historical Society to reserve their space at the event (401-635-4035.) The cost is $25 per 8 ft. space. To date vendors will offer children’s books, hand-made fabric crafts, silver jewelry, Christmas ornaments and crafts, and holiday greens.
• Local authors will be on hand to sign books during the event. Janet Lisle will personalize copies of The History of Little Compton: First Light Sakonnet and A Home By the Sea from 1 to 2:30 p.m. and from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Ms. Lisle wrote both books to benefit the Historical Society and they are illustrated by over 50 local artists.
Photographer and author Piper Hawes will also be on hand to sell and personalize the four photo books she has created to benefit local non-profit organizations including L is for Little Compton which benefits the Historical Society, Little Compton Counts, Do You See What I See and her latest book From Field to Sea, Sakonnet Animals from A to Z.
All of the Historical Society’s publications will be on sale during the event and members will receive twice their usual discount on the organizations five most recent books.
• A Christmas creche created by local artist Sydney Burleigh will be on display in the reception room throughout the open house and the Christmas Season. Only a small number of these Burleigh nativities are known to exist.
LCHS will also display a traditional Azorean nativity scene, known as a Presepio, displaying clay figures, some of which were collected during the Historical Society’s trip to the Azores in 2007.
• At 5 PM Docent Marie Jenkins will lead a lantern tour of the Wilbor House Museum. The low evening light provides a fascinating look into the challenges the Wilbors faced as winter approached. The tour is free to LCHS members and $5 to non-members. Please dress warmly. The Wilbor House is unheated.
Light refreshments including Wassail and ginger cookies will be available throughout the open house. Donations welcome.
Both members and non-members are invited to attend the Open House but members of the Little Compton Historical Society will receive special benefits though out the day including a Member’s Only Shopping Hour from Noon to 1 PM, free admission and advanced reservation privileges for the Wilbor House Lantern Tour and double Member’s Discounts on any of our five most recent books purchased that day. Memberships may be purchased at anytime at the Wilbor House Museum and start at $20 for an individual and $30 for a family.