Tag Archives: Little Compton Historical Society

Dora Atwater Millikin and Trip Millikin sit on the main staircase of the 1835 house that they moved from Buzzards Bay Brewery to their Main Road property. Some of the posts and beams date back to an even earlier 1709 house.

Rescued from the wrecker: Delay a lifesaver for 179-year-old farmhouse

Rescued from the wrecker: Delay a lifesaver for 179-year-old farmhouse

By Bruce Burdett The farmhouse that stood at what is now Buzzards Bay Brewing since 1835 is there no more. And Bill Kendall of the Westport Historical Commission could not be more pleased with that outcome. Its doors and windows long gone, siding charred by pyrotechnics used in a movie shoot (Frank the Bastard) the

Shipwright Hermann Hinrichsen works at side of Peggotty, preparing to move the aging catboat/studio. Photos by Richard W. Dionne Jr.

For Peggotty, out of Little Compton, a historic voyage

  LITTLE COMPTON — Two men, one a shipwright and the other a millwright, used skids and rollers to move a work of art — a very unusual 164-year old, 18-foot catboat — to a new home last week. The vessel is the Peggotty, and it is about as precious a part of town’s artistic

Carlton Brownell on Oct. 8, 2009, at the entrance to the library which bears his family’s name, that he visited almost daily for years, and on whose board he served as chairman for 56 years.

Carlton Brownell: Little Compton bids farewell to its historian

LITTLE COMPTON — Carlton Coggeshall Brownell’s passing on Feb. 6, 2013, has become a part of Little Compton’s history. We asked a few of the many who knew him for a few Carlton Brownell memories (for much more about his many contributions to his hometown, see page 14) … • Beth Ryan, director of the

Top