Trees down around Barrington in Sandy's aftermath


At the intersection of Nayatt Road and Bay Road a mammoth red oak leaned heavily across a web of power lines on Tuesday morning, a clear sign that Hurricane Sandy had been there.

Two men – one in an automated lift bucket and the other on the ground – worked to clear the lines from the huge tree while motorists driving along Nayatt searched for alternate routes to their destinations

On Bradford Street and Bernard Avenue and Anthony Road and Walnut, residents were still in the dark on Tuesday morning. Their electricity disappeared late Monday morning and, despite lessening winds throughout the night, was still yet to return 18 hours later.

Inside Haines Park, a large tree uprooted and landed squarely on top of the restrooms. About 10 yards away another tree surrendered to the wind, its trunk snapping about five feet from the ground.

At one of the busiest intersections in Barrington, where County Road meets Federal Road and Massasoit, water from the river had receded off the roadway. At about 8 p.m. on Monday, the river crested over its bank and flowed onto the intersection. It flooded across County onto nearby residents’ yards and forced more than a few cars to turn around.

Just across the river nervous homeowners carefully studied the rising tide as it pushed closer and closer towards their foundations, breaching retaining walls and covering lawns. On Juniper Road, the river flooded into the sewer pumping station on Monday night. The Barrington Department of Public Works sent crews to that site to run sump pumps throughout the night.

Along Mathewson Road, where beautiful homes look out onto Barrington Harbor, the remnants of Sandy’s surge, which coincided with a moon high tide on Monday night, lay strewn across well-kept front lawns. A clear line of leaves mixed with mulch, plastic bottles and candy wrappers marked the full reach of the surge. For some homes, the water halted just a few feet away, for others it covered driveways and splashed up against front steps.

Barrington Police Chief John LaCross said the water on Mathewson Road was a foot deep in some areas. He said the department shut down large sections of County Road between 7:30 and 8:45 p.m. Monday, redirecting traffic onto other roads.

Despite all the problems Sandy threw at Barrington, the chief was pleased with the town’s response.

“We planned things out as early as Friday before the storm with the town manager and department heads. We had an extra dispatcher inside and we were lucky we didn’t lose as much power … compared to Hurricane Irene,” he said. The chief also said about twice as many officers were on duty Monday night compared to a normal evening.

-With reports by George Morse


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

2016 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Prudence Island · Riverside · Rumford · Seekonk · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Mike Rego

Mike Rego has worked at East Bay Newspapers since 2001, helping the company launch The Westport Shorelines. He soon after became a Sports Editor, spending the next 10-plus years in that role before taking over as editor of The East Providence Post in February of 2012. To contact Mike to submit information, suggest story ideas or photo opportunities, etc., email