Save March 9th for the Marine Museum at Fall River

Posted

Re: EVENT, MARCH 9, 2014, 2:00 p.m.

VENUE: The Marine Museum At Fall River, 70 Water Street, Fall River, Massachusetts, two blocks south of the Battleship MASSACHUSETTS, will kick off its 2014 season with the showing of the 1922 silent film DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS.

Date & Time: Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM.

The movie was produced in New Bedford, Massachusetts by Whaling Film Corporation and directed by Elmer Clifton. This melodrama film contains Clara Bow’s first credited part.

The film is set in the 1850s New Bedford and Dartmouth featuring a Quaker family and their whaling business.  The whaler CHARLES W. MORGAN, and possibly the whaler WANDERER, are shown along with coopers at work on the New Bedford waterfront.  The hoops on the barrels most likely were produced by the Fall River Iron Works.  There are real scenes of actual whaling taken on board a whaler.

Included are wonderful views of the 1790 Quaker APPONEGANSETT MEETING HOUSE in Dartmouth where many scenes were filmed. The building has not changed to this day.  The partitions in the meeting house are shown being lowered.  Many of the “extras” in the film were local Quakers. Their descendents continue to live in the area.

Admission is $10.00 for adults and $6.00 for seniors and children.  Reservations can be made by telephoning the Marine Museum at (508) 674-3533. Contact Information:

Voice: 508.674.3533

eMail: info@marinemuseumfr.org

USPS: 70 Water Street, Fall River, MA 02721

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MarineMuseumFallRiver

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MarineMuseumFR/

See us on the web: http://www.marinemuseumfr.org

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

2016 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Prudence Island · Riverside · Rumford · Seekonk · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Mike Rego

Mike Rego has worked at East Bay Newspapers since 2001, helping the company launch The Westport Shorelines. He soon after became a Sports Editor, spending the next 10-plus years in that role before taking over as editor of The East Providence Post in February of 2012. To contact Mike to submit information, suggest story ideas or photo opportunities, etc., email mrego@eastbaynewspapers.com.