Portsmouth to pick up discarded Christmas trees
Don't bring it to the transfer station. Just drag it to your curb and the town's Department of Public Works (DPW) will take it away.
When DPW workers will arrived in your neighborhood depends on what voting district in which you live. Here's the schedule:
• Monday, Jan. 6: You voted at the Portsmouth Senior Center (precinct 2702) and the Common Fence Point Community Hall (precinct 2703).
• Tuesday, Jan. 7: You voted at Portsmouth High School (precinct 2704).
• Wednesday, Jan. 8: You voted at Melville School (precinct 2705) or Town Hall (precinct 2706).
• Thursday, Jan. 9: You voted at St. Barnabas Church (precinct 2707).
• Friday, Jan. 10: You voted at Portsmouth Middle School (precinct 2708).
Here are a few things you need to know:
• Trees must be placed curbside by 7 a.m.
• Trees must not be in plastic bags and must be completely stripped of all decorations and tinsel.
• Residents may also bring Christmas trees to the DPW site off Hedley Street. Trees will not be accepted at the transfer station.
• Trees will be recycled into mulch that will be available free of charge to Portsmouth residents. To learn when the mulch will be available, contact the Melville Campground at 682-2424.