Portsmouth girls' tennis team wins division
PORTSMOUTH — The Portsmouth High School girls' tennis team won the Suburban A division title after finishing the regular season with a 9-3 record.
The Patriots closed out the season with a 5-2 win over Ponaganset High School Thursday, Oct. 10.
Playoffs begin with the quarterfinals matches on Tuesday, Oct. 15, at a site to be determined. Coach Judy Colman said Portsmouth was the only team from its division to make the playoffs, and she believes the squad will be the fourth seed out of six teams.
Here are the results from Thursday's match with Ponaganset (Portsmouth players are listed first):
• No. 1 singles: Julia Harrigan (senior) defeated Olivia Campanella, 6-1, 6-1.
• No. 2 singles: Jamie Hole (junior) defeated Marisa Harding, 6-2, 6-4.
• No. 3 singles: Caroline Farrow (sophomore) lost to Jakie Smith, 6-2, 6-2.
• No. 4 singles: Hailey O'Connell (sophomore) lost to Rachel Tassoni, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
• No. 1 doubles: Paige Colman (junior)/Libby Goulart (junior) defeated Sam Solecito/Tayla Conti, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1.
• No. 2 doubles: Kathleen Brown (junior)/Annie Heffernan (senior) defeated Alex Harkness/Kailey Caldwell, 6-4,6-1.
• No. 3 doubles: Morgan Crimmins (freshman)/Tori Kirby (junior) defeated McKenzie Ferretti/Rachel Baker, 6-1, 6-1.
Ms. Colman said the team celebrated its seniors playing on the home Portsmouth courts for their last time: Julia Harrigan, Annie Heffernan, Kate Medley and Phyllis Morral. "We will miss them greatly," she said.
Harrigan loses in states
In other news, senior Julia Harrigan lost in the R.I. State Tournament to an East Greenwich player, 6-1, 6-2.
Ms. Colman said the score didn't reflect the match's many long rallies.
"The individual points sometimes were hit 30-plus times before they ended," she said.