Portsmouth girls' tennis team defeats Cumberland
PORTSMOUTH — The Portsmouth High School girls' tennis team beat Cumberland High on Thursday, Oct. 3, by a score of 5-2. The win brought the Patriots' record to 8-3.
The scoring was as follows, according to PHS coach Judy Colman (Portsmouth players are listed first):
• No. 1 singles: Julia Harrigan (senior) defeated Natalie Cunningham, 6-3, 6-1.
• No. 2 singles: Jamie Hole (junior) lost to Sydney Tilton, 6-3, 6-3.
• No. 3 singles: Caroline Farrow (sophomore) lost to Sara Laboissoniere, 6-4, 3-6, 6-5. (Caroline retired due to injury after falling on her wrist.)
• No. 4 singles: Hailey O'Connell (sophomore) defeated Sarah King, 7-5, 6-0.
• No. 1 doubles: Annie Heffernan (senior)/Paige Colman (junior) defeated Hana Noay/Cassidy Nunes, 6-0, 3-6, 6-0.
• No. 2 doubles: Morgan Crimmins (freshman)/Tori Kirby (junior) defeated Mary Malloy/Katrina Juntonen, 6-3, 7-6 (9-7).
• No. 3 doubles: Kathleen Brown (junior)/Kate Medley (senior) defeated Kyra Hamel/MacKenzie, 6-3, 7-5.
The Patriots are enjoying a week off before playing Ponaganset at home at 4:15 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10, its last regular season match. The playoffs begin next week.