Fire damages Bristol home

Posted

A single family home on Washington Street went up in flames last night. No one was home at the time.

Bristol firefighters responded to 78 Washington St., across from Guiteras Elementary School, around 11:30 p.m. Nov. 25, for a report that the roof was on fire. Flames could be seen coming from a skylight in the roof.

According to an arson investigator, tenants of the four-bedroom house are students at Roger Williams University. The students had left the house earlier in the evening, later telling authorities they had smelled smoke when they left. Upon their return, they found the home engulfed in flames.

The cause of the fire is believed to be faulty wiring from an overhead light fixture. It started in one of the bedrooms on the second floor.

According to the Town of Bristol's Geographic Information System map (GIS), the home is owned by Anthony P. LaRose, a former criminology professor at Roger Williams University who now teaches at the University of Tampa.

The house suffered considerable structural damage and was boarded up for safety precautions.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

2016 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Prudence Island · Riverside · Rumford · Seekonk · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Jim McGaw

A lifelong Portsmouth resident, Jim graduated from Portsmouth High School in 1982 and earned a journalism degree from the University of Rhode Island in 1986. He's worked two different stints at East Bay Newspapers, for a total of 18 years with the company so far. When not running all over town bringing you the news from Portsmouth, Jim listens to lots and lots and lots of music, watches obscure silent films from the '20s and usually has three books going at once. He also loves to cook crazy New Orleans dishes for his wife of 25 years, Michelle, and their two sons, Jake and Max.