Faulty light prompts fire response at Guiteras

Posted

Students at Guiteras School are back in class, safe and sound, after fire crews responded to a call there shortly after 11 a.m. on Friday.

According to Fire Chief Robert Martin, smoke was smelled inside one of the classrooms and, following procedure, the school was evacuated and the fire department was called.

Firefighters inspected the room and other areas inside the school, deteriming the cause of the odor to be from a blown ballister in a light fixture.

At 11:25, children were led back into the school and returned to their normal routine minutes later.

bristol fire

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

2016 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Prudence Island · Riverside · Rumford · Seekonk · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Jim McGaw

A lifelong Portsmouth resident, Jim graduated from Portsmouth High School in 1982 and earned a journalism degree from the University of Rhode Island in 1986. He's worked two different stints at East Bay Newspapers, for a total of 18 years with the company so far. When not running all over town bringing you the news from Portsmouth, Jim listens to lots and lots and lots of music, watches obscure silent films from the '20s and usually has three books going at once. He also loves to cook crazy New Orleans dishes for his wife of 25 years, Michelle, and their two sons, Jake and Max.