East Providence Fire Department snuffs out smoking-related incident at Goldsmith Manor

Posted

EAST PROVIDENCE — The East Providence Fire Department snuffed out a minor blaze late Wednesday night, Jan. 2, at Goldsmith Manor, the high rise building operated by the city housing authority for elderly and disabled tenants.

Acting EPFD Chief Oscar Elmasian, who reported the fire at about 10:45 p.m. Wednesday evening, termed the event to be a "smoking-related incident." Some two dozen residents were temporarily evacuated from the building. The incident took place on the 10th floor, the top floor of the structure, at approximately 10 p.m.

Acting Chief Elmasian said a female resident dropped a lit cigarette in the cushions of a futon coach/bed, which ignited the fire. No one was injured. The only damage in the apartment was to the piece of furniture.

The woman was unable to remain in her apartment, which was expected to be prepared for her return some time Thursday. The rest of the residents were able to re-enter their homes Wednesday once firefighters brought the situation under control.

 

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

2016 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Prudence Island · Riverside · Rumford · Seekonk · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Mike Rego

Mike Rego has worked at East Bay Newspapers since 2001, helping the company launch The Westport Shorelines. He soon after became a Sports Editor, spending the next 10-plus years in that role before taking over as editor of The East Providence Post in February of 2012. To contact Mike to submit information, suggest story ideas or photo opportunities, etc., email mrego@eastbaynewspapers.com.