East Providence Fire Department responds to two Monday calls
EAST PROVIDENCE — The day's ongoing snow didn't keep the East Providence Fire Department from keeping busy as personnel were called to a pair of actions Monday, Feb. 3.
The first fire occurred in the morning hours at a multi-family house located at 150-152 Walnut St. in the center of the city, according to EPFD Lieutenant James Bellamy.
The fire occurred in bedroom on third floor. Companies on scene were able to extinguish the fire quickly. A bed was on fire and there was an electric heater in the area of the bed. No one was injured.
There was a resident on the second floor that heard the smoke detector going off on the third floor and went up and saw the fire and called 911. Police were on the scene first and made sure everyone was out of the building. Nine people were displaced from the fire and were going to stay with family members.
Later in the afternoon, EPFD crews responded to a basement fire at 32 Hawthorne Ave. in the Kent Heights section of the city believed to have been caused by faulty electrical wires.
The homeowner alerted the EPFD of the situation. According to Lt. Bellamy, a man was home and heard something in the basement. There was a fire in the area of the electrical panel which he tried to extinguish. He then called 911.
EPFD personnel noted minimal damage to the wiring in the basement area with smoke making its way through the rest of the house. No injuries were reported. The occupant was able to stay in the home.
— Photos courtesy of EPFD