Early morning fire guts waterfront home in Bristol
Fire crews from Bristol and Warren responded to a report of a house fire at 4:25 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 4, where they found the two-bedroom home fully engulfed in flames and the sole occupant safely out of the building.
Bristol Fire Chief Robert Martin said the unidentified man who rents the waterfront house at 61 Smith St. was asleep on a couch in an adjacent room and was awakened by his dog barking. The man woke inside a smoke-filled room and could see flames consuming his home.
The man escaped without injury. His dog died in the fire.
Chief Martin credited the fire crews from both towns for getting the blaze under control. The house, which was built in 1955, is situated between two other houses that could easily have ignited from the original fire. The adjacent homes are currently unoccupied and firefighters took preventative steps to keep the fire from spreading to other properties.
“The departments did an excellent job,” Chief Martin said.
The narrow street and tight space in which to work added to the challenge. Crews had the fire under control and extinguished within a half hour of responding.
The cause of the fire is said to be electrical, starting in the living room on the water side of the home.