The Portsmouth School Committee voted unanimously on Tuesday, Nov. 27, to elect David Croston to serve as chairman.
The committee also elected fellow Democrat Terri-Denise Cortvriend as the vice chairwoman in a unanimous vote.. Thomas Vadney was chosen to be the committee's clerk, also by unanimous vote.
In other action, meeting 'Highlights' show that the committee:
• Welcomed newly elected committee members (all Democrats) Emily A. Copeland, Ms. Cortvriend, Andrew V. Kelly and John L. Wojichowski.
• Accepted with regret the retirement of Robert Ettinger, Hathaway School principal. The department has advertised for his replacement.
• Approved a request for proposals for legal services
• Agreed to hold meetings on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month.
• Heard a presentation by Girl Scout Troop 715 about Anti-Bullying Day. The school principals will hold a moment of silence on Dec. 12 in recognition of the event.