Come Celebrate Tiverton all weekend
TIVERTON — Tiverton launches Celebrate Tiverton with three days of activities this Friday through Sunday.
Friday evening's kickoff events are all within walking distance of each other, close by the waterfront at Stone Bridge.
Other activities are scheduled from Friday evening through Sunday, in all areas of town.
Catch live music at 5:30 p.m. with Rhode island Public Radio at the Middle Avenue Gazebo, then walk downhill to watch Tiverton Yacht Club boats sail by in a "flotilla of lights" at sunset.
Close the evening at dark with a bonfire at Grinnell's Beach.
Celebrate Tiverton is the town's first town-wide festival since about 1997. Its roots go back further than that, to at least the 1970's and even before, say the event's organizers.
One of them is Linda Larsen, a life-long Tiverton resident, Ms. Larsen said the thinking behind the Celebrate Tiverton event is that "we've been missing the sense of community, where we get together. The town-wide feeling. We've been missing a sense of how great this community is. It's community pride — we seal old friendships, create new ones. It's like a family reunion."
After Friday night's kickoff, Celebrate Tiverton activities will continue Saturday morning at 10, with a parade (sponsored by the Tiverton Educational Foundation) starting from Judson Street that will end at Li'l Bear Lounge. The parade grand marshal will be Chairwoman of the School Committee Sally Black.
Other "Celebrate Tiverton" activities Saturday will include storytelling, a summer cookout, Cajun dancing and stargazing at Sandywoods. On Sunday, there will be a 5K run near Tiverton High School and a kayak cruise at Inlet Drive near Seapowet Marsh.
An event like this can make a difference for a community, said Ms. Larsen. "You can get 12 people in a room and they don't agree, but if they've had a common experience, it's something different. If we all share in a town-wide experience that gives us memories, that's a common bond."
Celebrate Tiverton schedule
For more detail see: www.celebratetiverton.org
Thursday, July 25:
• 5-8: Tiverton Four Corners — shops, galleries open, wine and cheese
Friday, July 26
• 5:30-7:30: Middle Ave. Gazebo — live music, food, refreshments
• 7:30: Stone Bridge Waterfront — flotilla of lighted boats
• 8: Grinnell's Beach - bonfire
Saturday, July 27
• 10-noon: Parade Main Road from Judson Street to Li'l Bear Lounge
• 4:30: Sandywoods Farm — storytelling
• 5:30-7: Sandywoods Farm — summer cookout by Acacia Cafe ($10 adults, $5 children under 12)
• 7-9:30: Sandywoods Farm, Cajun Dancing
• 8:30-10: Sandywoods Farm, stargazing with Astronomical Society of Southern New England
Sunday, July 28
• 10-noon: Tiverton High School area, 5K run
• 10-noon: Inlet Drive, Seapowet Marsh — 'kayak kruise'