Andrade's Catch opens after Sunday morning fire

Posted

Andrade's Catch is open for business Sunday, following an early morning fire that ravaged the building's second floor.

"We've got our lobster in the cooler, alive and kicking," said David Andrade, owner of the fish market at 186 Wood St. "There's fishermen out there working, so we have to be open for them. We've got a delivery to New York today. We're not stopping."

Firefighters were called to the two-story building shortly after 3:30 a.m. Dec. 29, for a report of a structure fire in the second-floor, one-bedroom apartment.

The cause of the fire is believed to be due to unattended cooking. No one was injured.

"We'll most likely have to gut the second floor," Mr. Andrade said.

Electricity to the building was shut off, and once the fire was extinguished, Mr. Andrade was able to turn on a generator to power his fish market.

"We only installed that about six months ago," he said. "Thank God we got it."

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

2016 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Prudence Island · Riverside · Rumford · Seekonk · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Jim McGaw

A lifelong Portsmouth resident, Jim graduated from Portsmouth High School in 1982 and earned a journalism degree from the University of Rhode Island in 1986. He's worked two different stints at East Bay Newspapers, for a total of 18 years with the company so far. When not running all over town bringing you the news from Portsmouth, Jim listens to lots and lots and lots of music, watches obscure silent films from the '20s and usually has three books going at once. He also loves to cook crazy New Orleans dishes for his wife of 25 years, Michelle, and their two sons, Jake and Max.