100 Years Ago in Warren: A drunk, a thief and dusty roads


Taken from the pages of the Warren and Barrington Gazette this week in September 1912:

Finally paved

Washington street is finished and is open for traffic. Highway surveyor Barry has done another excellent piece of work in the macadamizing of this street. He has left no nook or corner unturned in the way of paving or drainage and the job ought to last for years. It is a water bound macadam road, built of first class metal and well laid and flushed and the people of the community ought to be proud of the work.

Working waterfront

Barge Sharon is discharging a cargo of coal at the Staples Coal company's dock.

Lively Company Street

Officer Bergeron was called to Company street on Sunday morning about 11 o'clock to suppress a disturbance. No arrests were made. This is a pretty lively locality at all times.

False alarm

Friday evening the residents in the Cherry Street neighborhood were suddenly aroused by crashing glass. Nothing was to be seen. The families of Benjamin Hall and William Stelling were sitting on the piazza of their house on Cherry street when the noise was heard. What to make of it they could not tell. they had seen no one pass nor they heard any one prowling around, still the noise was suspicious and suggested burglars. After making a hasty survey of their own property Mr. Hall went to the telephone and called up the police station. Officer Hull responded in double quick time. Armed with his search light he began an investigation of the premises from which the sounds seemed to emanate, the house of Buell Buckingham. He found no windows open nor doors; there was no window glass broken. Throwing his electric light into the interior of the house, however, he found in the dining room, that an immense picture that had hung over a side-board had broken form its fastenings, and had come down with a crash carrying all before it. The mystery was explained. The night was so still and quiet and the sound came with such a shock and abruptness, that it isn't to be wondered that the neighborhood was aroused and felt the need of police. It was fortunate that it was no worse, although a handsome picture is ruined and other things badly damaged.

We're never happy

People complained three months ago about the poor condition of Child street, how badly it needed macadamizing. Then they complained because it was all torn up and they couldn't use it. Then, it took so long to do the work. Now the dust from the new piece is blowing in whirlpools and eddys around the corner, and they still complain. It's too funny, when you stop to think of it. We don't mean to grumble, but we do most of the time. It must be a weakness of human nature, and first cousin to original sin and total depravity. Say, but the dust on the corner is terrible, when the wind blows and the autos go by, which happens most all the time. Whose business is it to sit tight on that dust?

Whiskey thief

Some time Thursday night, some miscreant, who was a little short of money and who had a thirst on him, broke into the saloon of Frank Bliss on North Water street. Entrance was gained very easily, through a window, and the dded shows that it was performed by some one who had a pretty good knowledge of the place and its environments. Mr. Bliss found evidence of the break on entering his place of business, Friday morning. Nothing had been greatly disturbed. As far as could be told, the persons engaged in the act of marauding, had only taken a couple of half pints of whiskey, not the best that there was in stock, and had also secured something over $5 in cash in all. Mr. Bliss felt sure that he could pick out the individual who had shown himself so crafty, but hesitated to do so on account of the trouble it would entail. He said he would look out and see that it did not occur again as far as he was concerned, but woe be if a more forcible break does happen.

Evading, not reveling

At 8.45 Officer Hull was called to the railroad station to lay hands on Henry Clough, who was accused of reveling. Clough had been drinking and had gotten the idea that the railroad was carrying the passengers free. He sound found out that such was not the case, that if he wanted to travel, he must produce the wherewithal. This he wouldn't do, and besides he was making himself somewhat of a nuisance and delaying the train service. On the complaint of Conductor Lord, Officer Hull arrested the man and locked him up in the police station to await the pleasure of the Court. Clough was taken to Bristol Monday forenoon. The Judge after hearing the evidence decided to hold him only for the minor offense of evading fare. If he had chosen to hold him for reveling, it would have cost him dear. As it was, Clough got off for $5.00 and costs, which he paid and was allowed to go. He considered that it would be cheaper for him to have paid in the first place. Some time in the forenoon, two fellows who had heard of his predicament came to Warren with funds to get him out of his trouble, if he had needed help, but he had gone on his way.





No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

2016 by East Bay Newspapers

Barrington · Bristol · East Providence · Little Compton · Portsmouth · Prudence Island · Riverside · Rumford · Seekonk · Tiverton · Warren · Westport
Meet our staff
Mike Rego

Mike Rego has worked at East Bay Newspapers since 2001, helping the company launch The Westport Shorelines. He soon after became a Sports Editor, spending the next 10-plus years in that role before taking over as editor of The East Providence Post in February of 2012. To contact Mike to submit information, suggest story ideas or photo opportunities, etc., email mrego@eastbaynewspapers.com.