Tiverton ended its regular season on a winning note, knocking off West Warwick last week 4-3, and posting a 7-5 league record for the season. The team finished in a three-way tie for second place in Divison III Central B.
That’s it for the Tigers who won’t go to the playoffs this year due to league sanctions. A forfeiture in last year’s first-round playoffs match led to Tiverton being ruled out of this year’s playoffs.
Tiverton will play its final match of the season this upcoming Tuesday at the Salve Regina tennis courts in Newport versus Somerset in the annual Stenning Cup Exhibition.
Scores in the West Warwick match were:
1. RJ Leso (WW) def. Rob Walsh (Tiv) 6-3, 6-0
2. Josiah Schaffer (WW) def. Andy Sampaio (Tiv) 6-3, 6-0
3. Dylan Clement (Tiv) def. Rachel Lachapelle (WW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Dominic Payer (Tiv) def. Kendra Quimby (WW) 6-4, 6-0
1st Tom O’Hara/Lia Thornton (Tiv) def. Matt Gambardella/Jill Craig (WW) 6-3, 6-2
2nd Max Mendoza/Denny Callagher (WW) def. Rachel Mauricio/Amy Thornton (Tiv) 6-4, 6-4
3rd Aidan Bradley/Owen Flanagan (Tiv) def. Brighton Landroch/Gena Fisher (WW) 6-2, 6-1
Also last week, the Tiverton boys were shut out at home by a strong Narraganset squad.The following are the scores as they went:
1. Devon Chofay (Nar) def. Rob Walsh (Tiv) 6-0, 6-0
2. Dylan Jardon (Nar) def. Andy Sampaio (Tiv) 6-0, 6-3
3. Mike Cornoyer (Nar) def. Dylan Clement (Tiv) 6-1, 6-0
4. Will Lurigio (Nar) def. Dominic Payer (Tiv) 6-1, 6-1
1st Dan Stern-Lonczak/Jack Hall (Nar) def. Tom O’Hara/Lia Thornton (Tiv) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2nd Jay Deluca/Mackenzie Boutin (Nar) def. Rachel Mauricio/Amy Thornton (Tiv) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
3rd Sajad Hosseini/Nick St. Laurent (Nar) def. Owen Flanagan/Avery Pacheco (Tiv) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)