Sadly, we have thrown God out of our lives

When senseless violence like the tragedy in Newtown, Conn. happens, the experts talk about issues like ineffective gun control, better mental health services, increasing violence found in realistic videos, and stronger security in schools.
But I do believe the most essential solution is being avoided.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a Lutheran pastor who died in a Nazi concentration camp, said it best when he stated that we as people of faith should oppose a culture “which is no longer based on natural law and the law of God.”
Secularism is becoming the false religion of our land, and we have sadly thrown God out of our lives. When the Christmas tree becomes the holiday tree, when shopping becomes the essence of Christmas, when people say “bless you” rather than “God bless you” after a sneeze, when the family is under attack, when abortion is so easy to access, and on and on, we have effectively eliminated God from our culture.
I am a Catholic Christian, and I stand right now and say that God matters to me.
When Pope John Paul II visited communist-ruled Poland in 1979, the people chanted in humble thunderous unity, “We want God! We want God!” America needs to do the same.
In 2 Chronicles 7:14 the Lord said to Solomon, “… if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
My brothers and sisters in America, I urge you to seek the face of God! God does not cause the violence in our land, but he is the only one who has the true and lasting power to heal our country of the senseless violence that happens time after time after time.
Sincerely,
Heidi M. Bailey
Bristol

1. Kyle Christopher said:

Yeah, because believing in God or practicing a religion makes you less likely to kill multiple people (Sarcasm). So I guess the crusades didn’t happen, and suicide bombers in the Middle East are just all having bad hair days. Not to mention the guy in Norway who killed over 80 people and is a self proclaimed Christian fundamentalist fighting for his countries religious and cultural heritage.

• Metacomment said:

Heidi,

According to The Bible, the Christian God does indeed perform violence. Look at the story of Noah. How many people did his flood kill? I don’t think it’s he, who we should turn to. We need to turn to each other.

We control our own fate through our own will. Not by prayers, but our physical actions.

Let’s all be better people and stop referencing works of fiction.

• Heidi Bailey said:

Hi,

It seems to me that if you read about the flood in the Bible, it says in Genesis 6: “In the eyes of God the earth was corrupt and full of lawlessness.
        When God saw how corrupt the earth had become, since all mortals led depraved lives on earth,
        he said to Noah: ‘I have decided to put an end to all mortals on earth; the earth is full of lawlessness because of them. So I will destroy them and all life on earth.’”
        Clearly, God did not cause the violence, but he did put an end to it because he is just. Man caused the violence, and we are his creation.
        I am so sorry that you believe that the bible is fiction. And yes, we do have free will to make choices, but we all “live and move and have our being in God.” Consequently, we have choices, but God is in charge. He has great respect for us and our choices, wrong though they often are. And, I know you don’t believe it, but prayer is so much more powerful than physical actions. Read about the saints’ lives and you will be blown away by the power of prayer, especially by those whose faith is strong. Have you ever given prayer a try? Real prayer – prayer of the heart? I urge you to try!

• Heidi Bailey said:

Hi Kyle,

Just because human beings are not perfect does not contradict the fact that God exists and he is perfect. Because of sin, many, many terrible things can happen. And I agree that the world is full of so-called Christians who don’t truly open their hearts to the truth about God. But for every person you can list who has done wrong even though they call themselves a believer, I can list a person who has done good. This is because many, many people have opened their hearts to God and accepted his help. I am sinner, but I know I am loved beyond my understanding and that God is helping me everyday to live my life according to his truth. God reads our hearts, and if we truly want to know him and to share in his goodness, then yes, believing in the one, true God does make you less likely to kill people.

• BEERCHUGGA said:

Where was god to protect those 20 inocent life’s who did nothing but go to school? explain why this person deceided to kill 20 young kids? and do not tell me the vidieo games made him do it.

• Heidi Bailey said:

God weeps when tragic events happen to his people here on earth. In the Gospel, when Jesus hears of Lazarus’ death, “Jesus wept.” No one was more upset about this violent act than God. So first, I believe that the instant those children were in danger, their guardian angels carried their souls to heaven. Secondly, violence happens on earth because man sins, not because God is absent from our lives. Those children were holy innocents, but America is full of lawlessness. You are angry at the wrong person. Man has free will and God has great respect for our freedom. He permits (he does not cause) violence to happen. Suffering is a great mystery; but because God sent his only son to suffer the greatest violence that can be done to a person – crucifixion – he shows us that suffering can become redemptive. As Jesus death redeemed mankind on a world scale, so we too have a part in redeeming the world because of sin. Of course, you have to have faith to understand this. So, if it doesn’t make sense to you, pray to God for understanding. My mere words are not strong enough to open your heart to God; but he will help you to understand if only you will make a move towards him.

• Heidi Bailey said:

Hi Zip,

So, when Adam had his sons Cain and Abel, he had been banned from the Garden of Eden due to sin. And violence and death are the result of sin. God respects our freedom to the point where one man can kill another. So no, having God in his life did not keep Adam’s son from killing his brother. BUT, God did not abandon Cain and actually kept him in his care just like he does with all of us. By this I mean that God is leading us all home (if we accept his leadership) despite the sin in our nature that causes us to commit senseless violence. You have to think of time the way God does – it is just as small as taking a breath compared to eternity. Now is our testing and now is our opportunity to seek God despite our fallen nature. Because, salvation is not something we can earn, it is a gift freely given and also FREELY RECEIVED by humanity from God. Abel is in heaven (perhaps Cain is too) and that’s where the good life begins. Death here is very real and very horrible, but our hope lies in the fact that one day we will live in eternity which will consist of endless joy with our loved ones.