To the editor:
On February 9th in the midst of the blizzard at around 2:30 a.m. Ned and I were awakened by a crashing noise in our house and supposed it to be storm related. With no electricity, I grabbed my flashlight and bathrobe to inspect what the noise might be. With my “in-a-hurry” bare feet I went towards where the noise had come from, and there I saw what looked like three firemen in our kitchen doorway saying “Don’t step on the glass!” Too late, but luckily, the shattered glass was only like pebbles under my feet, only another surprise to me. The firemen had been unable to awake us with loud door knocks and bell ringing, so had gained an entrance that certainly did wake us up!
“We must get you out of the house now! Your carbon monoxide indicator sent an alarm to us at the station, and you must evacuate immediately!” They told me that the rescue truck could not get past the large fallen tree in the road so they had run through about 1 foot of snow over a distance of about two football fields to get to our house. They asked if there was anyone else here with me and I said my husband and two dogs were in our bedroom. At that they evacuated us all into our own snow covered car outside in the driveway.
After about 10 minutes a rescue woman with a carbon monoxide finger measurement device got into our car with us to check our levels. They both read safely to our great relief! A few minutes later one of the fireman (I believe by this time there were five) came to the car and told us the carbon monoxide level in the basement furnace room was an astronomically high 300, the first floor measured 20, and the second floor was 10. He said they were going to open windows and doors to rid the house of the carbon monoxide so we could return and go back to bed. How does one go back to bed and sleep after that?
About 30 – 45 minutes later the carbon monoxide readings were down to zero from the high winds blowing through, and we all were back in the house. We thanked them over and over for all they did, though “thank you” is not a big enough word for saving your life! On leaving, one of the firemen turned to me and said “I’m sorry to have shattered your window.” And all I could think of to say was “Thank you for shattering my window.”
We can’t say enough good things about what a wonderful group of dedicated, hard working, thorough and thoughtful people our Bristol Fire Department is, and we give you a ton of heartfelt thank yous for giving us the opportunity to be able to write this letter to you today.
Harriet and Ned Dwyer
7 Monkey Wrench Lane