In a recent letter to the council, Caroline “Bunny” Miller said having a “designated place for dog owners to exercise their pets and form a social network at the same time is a win-win activity that is sure to enhance the desirability of the Town of Portsmouth as a lace to live and raise families, as well as to retire and enjoy life.”
Ms. Miller offered to work toward establishing the park through the following steps:
• Gather a committee of interested residents
• Seek several possible sites on town-owned land
• Research the design of similar parks in other New England communities
• Secure cost estimates for fencing, benches, etc.
• Explore ways to privately fund the cost of preparing the park
• Assess possible ongoing costs/liabilities to the town
• Develop rules and guidelines for the use of the park
Ms. Miller said it’s important to her that something positive come out of a sad situation: the recent loss of her small pet dog, Oscar. The dog was attacked and killed recently by a neighbor’s dog that had been running loose, she stated in the letter.
“Before Oscar’s vision failed, he loved romping with other dogs at the Newport Off-Leash Dog Park on Connell Highway,” she said.
The council meets at 7 p.m. Monday, June 10, at Town Hall.Add to favorites