Portsmouth High deemed safe, classes resume Thursday

Portsmouth High School

Portsmouth High SchoolPORTSMOUTH — Less than four hours after a second bomb scare in three days forced an evacuation of students from Portsmouth High School, the building has been deemed safe and classes will resume Thursday morning.

“We have been assured by Portsmouth Police and Portsmouth Fire and the state fire marshall that our building is safe and secure,” said PHS Principal Robert Littlefield in a taped phone message alert that went out around 3:30 p.m. today.

Less than 48 hours after finding a note that referenced an “explosive device” at the high school, a similar note was found Wednesday afternoon.

“Exercising caution, we evacuated the building and notified Portsmouth Police and Portsmouth Fire. At approximately 1:30 we did decide to dismiss school for the day,” said Mr. Littlefield.

“Unfortunately, all student belongings were left behind here at the school,” he said, adding that the building is locked and students may retrieve their property when school re-opens at 7:15 a.m. tomorrow.

“Because the building has been secured, we are canceling all after-school and evening activities,” he said, adding that the chorus concert that had been scheduled for tonight at PHS will be postponed to a later date.

Authors

Top 7ads6x98y