Police seize thousands in drugs, guns after Bristol house fire

Police seize thousands in drugs, guns after Bristol house fire


Jaret Moskal
Jaret Moskal
Police and firefighters made an unexpected discovery when responding to a house fire on Washington Street Nov. 25.

After putting out the blaze at 78 Washington St., officers seized six guns — a bolt action rifle, pellet gun, Sig 556, Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun, Diamond Back 15, and a Keltec Sub 2000 — for a total value of $2,150.
Police also seized $3,000-worth of marijuana, $20 in amphetamines, ammunition, and a plethora of drug paraphernalia.

According to police, the items belong to Jaret J. Moskal, 22, of Hobe Sound, Fla., who is a resident of the home. He was arrested on structure fire charges, possession of marijuana, and three felony drug possessions.

The guns were legally registered to Mr. Moskal.

Firefighters responded to the home around 11:30 p.m. for a report that the roof was on fire. Flames could be seen coming from a skylight in the roof. It took firefighters about 20 minutes to contain the fire and put it out.

Police interviewed Mr. Moskal’s roommate, Kimberly Kitchener, 21, of Coronado, Calif., who told officers that earlier in the afternoon, there had been a small electrical fire in the ceiling fixture in Mr. Moskal’s room and that he had put the fire out. The two believed the fire to be completely extinguished when they left for the evening, she told police.

She was notified of the fire when her landlord called her cell phone.

The firearms recovered were found in Ms. Kitchener’s room. Mr. Moskal told police that he had put them in her room “because he figured at some point, the landlord would have the fire department respond to the house and he did not want them in that room.”

Mr. Moskal was arraigned in 6th District Court on Nov. 26, and posted $200 of a $2,000 surety bail bond.

According to the police report, both Mr. Moskal and Ms. Kitchener are students at Roger Williams University.

The house suffered considerable structural damage and was boarded up for safety precautions.