TIVERTON — A fire Thursday night, August 1, in the basement of a private residence at 1305 Main Road near the eastbound exit from Route 24 caused the dwelling to become temporarily unlivable and forced the evacuation of the two adult residents.
A Portsmouth firefighter was treated at the scene “for a bit of heat exhaustion,” but did not require transportation to a hospital, said Tiverton Fire Chief Robert Lloyd.
The call came in about 7:15 p.m., reporting smoke coming from the building, said Chief Lloyd. About 15-20 firefighters from Tiverton and Portsmouth responded.
It took about 40 minutes to bring the fire under control, with most firefighters released from the scene about 10:30 p.m., he said. A small number remained until about 1 a.m. to ensure the residence could be properly secured and all threat of rekindling eliminated.
“It was a pretty serious fire in the basement laundry room,” the chief said, “and it generated a lot of smoke and flames.”
The fire caused structural damage in the basement, and to the staircase leading up from it, and left scorching on the northern outside of the house, Chief Lloyd said.
He estimated damage to the house in the range “of about $40,000, on the conservative side.”
The Red Cross provided assistance to the residents, he said.