Portsmouth police: Man ate sushi, left without paying

Portsmouth police: Man ate sushi, left without paying

Donald D. Page

PORTSMOUTH — Debbi: Duke, let’s go do some crimes.

Duke: Yeah. Let’s go get sushi — and not pay!

— Repo Man (1984 cult film)

That’s what a local man allegedly did when — over the course of several days, police said — he helped himself to sushi at Clements’ Marketplace and then skipped out on the bill.

Donald D. Page
Donald D. Page

Donald D. Page, 57, of 35 Porters Lane, was charged at about 7 p.m. Friday with larceny of under $1,500 — shoplifting sushi and a newspaper — from the store.

Earlier that afternoon a Clements’ employee told police that about $300 of sushi had gone unaccounted for over the past month. She told police Mr. Page would arrive nightly between 7:30 and 8, take sushi off the shelf and head to the nearby cafe area, without paying for the items.

The employee said “she has Page on camera doing this on eight separate occasions from Jan. 28 to Jan. 31. The sushi packages ranged from $8.50 to $11.99 … totaling approximately $68,” according to the report by Patrol Officer Ryan Goyette.

The store provided the police with videos on a DVD as well as photographs. Employees were told to contact police the next time Page was in the store.

Several hours later, police got the call. An employee at the store told police she watched Mr. Page take a sushi container and a newspaper to the cafe. Mr. Page threw the container away when he saw that police had arrived, the employee said.

An officer said Mr. Page walked out of the store without paying for the items. When he was confronted, Mr. Page could not produce a receipt for the food nor identify a cashier that rang him out, police said.

Mr. Page was later served with an order that he not trespass at the market, police said.

Here are some other highlights from the Portsmouth police log from over the past week.

Tuesday, Jan. 28

The owner of PJR Construction, Peter Raposa, told police a catalytic converted had been stolen from one of his construction trucks between Jan. 24 and Jan. 28. The truck had been parked at the old Cox Communications building at 137 Chase Road at the time. Mr. Raposa said he believes the item was cut by a Sawzall and sold as scrap metal.

Jay Peters of Portsmouth told police at about 5:45 p.m. that he was the victim of a hit-and-run accident on Union Street at Jepson Lane. Mr. Peters said he was driving east on Union Street when another vehicle, traveling north on Jepson Lane, hit his car’s passenger side door and fled the scene. Judging from the paint transfer, the suspect’s vehicle appeared to be red, police said. There was also glass debris, possibly from a headlight, in the roadway. Mr. Peters was not injured.

Mary Bedford of Bristol was injured when the car she was driving lost control and hit a utility pole on West Main Road near Freeborn Street around 7:30 p.m. Ms. Bedford was bleeding from the back of her head and was transported to Newport Hospital. Her vehicle’s front end sustained heavy damage, with the driver’s-side tire completely off its axle, police said.

Thursday, Jan. 30

Nancy Aguiar, 38, of 498 Park Ave., was charged with driving while intoxicated (first offense) after police responded to the corner of Narragansett Avenue and Tallman Avenue shortly after midnight for a report of a vehicle that had been parked in the street for about 30 minutes. Police said they found a running 2009 Chevrolet Malibu, with its headlights on, stopped at a stop sign and making the road impassable. An intoxicated Ms. Aguiar was behind the wheel, according to police.

Gilmore L. Farr
Gilmore L. Farr

Gilmore L. Farr, 65, of Apt. 214 at Anthony House Apartments, 51 Middle Road, was charged with disorderly conduct (making loud/disturbing noise) and maintaining a common nuisance shortly before midnight. Police responded to the apartment in an attempt to locate Mr. Farr, who had an active warrant out for his arrest in connection with an incident on Jan. 20. On that date, an Anthony House resident told police that a man with no shirt on and in his bare feet walked down the hallway making noises.

Friday, Jan. 31

Louie L. Cartee III, 27, of 153 Stringham Road, was charged with domestic assault after police responded to his home around 7:30 p.m. for a report of a woman being choked.

Saturday, Feb. 1

Casey P. Brown, 20, of 55 Gondola Ave., Jamestown, was charged with driving while intoxicated (first offense) after the car he was driving was stopped for speeding on East Main Road at Eyler Drive shortly before 5 a.m.

Rebecca A. Hanos, 58, of 16 Rosa Terrace, Newport, was charged with domestic assault after police received a walk-in report around 10 p.m. of a domestic disturbance at the Portsmouth Camp property on Hedley Street. The complainant said Ms. Hanos had scratched his face and right arm after an argument.

Monday, Feb. 3

Several vehicle accidents were reported during the snowfall, which made for slippery driving conditions. Police responded to two separate accidents on Middle Road at School House Lane, as well as accidents on Burma Road at Stringham Road, Stringham Road at Stevens Street, and Union Street at Acorn Lane.

An abandoned vehicle was found blocking the road in the area of West Passage Drive and West Main Road around 6:10 p.m. The vehicle, reportedly parked there for about two hours, was completely covered in snow and with no one inside, police said. The car was towed from the scene.


  1. — The employee said “she has Page on camera doing this on eight
    — separate occasions from Jan. 28 to Jan. 31….”

    Eating Sushi eight times in three days? Jeez Louise, this guy does have a few issues.

    Switching off to Beefaroni would only cost $1 per can, with the added benefit that it keeps your name and photo out of the newspaper…