Portsmouth police in high-speed chase of motorcyclist

Portsmouth police in high-speed chase of motorcyclist


PORTSMOUTH — Here are some highlights from the Portsmouth police log from over the past week.

Wednesday, July 16

Firefighters and police responded around 12:30 p.m. to a car fire on Glen Farm Road, where they found the hood of a 2000 Buick LeSabre fully engulfed in flames. The driver said he had gotten into an accident in the same area two days earlier, when he lost consciousness and his car went down an embankment. He told police he wanted to see exactly where his vehicle went off the roadway so he returned to the scene, parked and turned off the engine. About five minutes after he had left the vehicle, he said, he smelled smoke and his car’s hood then caught on fire.

David P. McCollum Jr., 36, of Hartford Avenue, Johnston, was arrested around 4:20 p.m. on a bench warrant issued by Second District Court. A police officer with knowledge of the warrant arrested Mr. McCollum, who was found standing at a bus stop at the corner of Boyd’s Lane near Anthony Road. Police said during a search of Mr. McCollum’s property, they found a marijuana bong and marijuana pipe as well as a small amount of hemp seeds and marijuana gel candy. Mr. McCollum could not provide a medical marijuana card, according to police.

Saturday, July 19

A Summit Road woman reported around noontime that her mailbox had been damaged. Police said the wooden mailbox had been snapped at its base and there were no tire tracks in the area. The woman said other neighbors had also complained about property damage recently.

Sunday, July 20

Jeffrey L. Cabral, 25, of 10 Josephine Ave., East Providence, was charged with engaging police in a high-speed pursuit while operating a motorcycle on East Main Road around 4:30 p.m. Police said the motorcycle, which had a female passenger, had reached a speed of 88 mph on Route 24 southbound, and a second motorcycle had reached a speed of 77 mph. According to police, when police attempted to pass the second motorcycle on the Sakonnet River Bridge, the operator swerved toward the cruiser in an attempt to slow it down so the faster motorcycle could depart the area. Police got around the motorcycle and observed the faster bike passing several vehicles on the right and using the breakdown lane for travel, according to police. The motorcycle took the first exit off Route 24 into Tiverton and an officer lost sight of it. However, a driver of another vehicle motioned police to go down a side road where the officer found the motorcycle, which then accelerated away on Central Avenue. Police finally caught up with the driver when he came to a stop in the parking lot of Olympic Physical Therapy on Main Road, Tiverton. He claimed not to know the driver of the other motorcycle, police said.