Portsmouth police: Gas or oil dumped at beach

Portsmouth police patch

Portsmouth police patchPORTSMOUTH — Here are some highlights from the Portsmouth police log from over the past week.

Friday, Dec. 20

Christopher J. O’Donnell, 38, of 2563 Main Road, Tiverton, was charged on bench warrants issued by Superior Court and Second District Court. Police made the arrest after pulling Mr. O’Donnell’s car over around 1:30 p.m. on Route 24 near Spring Street because it had an expired inspection sticker.

Colby R. Maurice, 22, of 756 Wapping Road, was charged on a bench warrant issued by Second District Court. Police made the arrest at Mr. Maurice’s home around 5:45 p.m.

A Subaru Outback driven by Susa Plourde, of 157 Riverside St., struck a deer around 5:45 p.m.on Boyd’s Lane near the Route 24 on-ramp. The deer, which had darted across the road, ran away from the scene. The vehicle sustained significant damage to its front driver’s side, police said.

Saturday, Dec. 21

Matthew M. Myreddu, 23, of 9 Toppa Boulevard, Newport, was charged with driving while intoxicated (first offense) just before 2 a.m. His car was pulled over for speeding on West Main Road near Mail Coach Road.

Police said a Mercury sedan driven by Coralie Depalma of Little Compton struck a concrete barrier and metal guardrail on Route 24 northbound shortly before 1:15 p.m.The driver and two young family members were taken by rescue workers to the hospital as a precautionary measure. The vehicle was towed from the scene.

Donald K. Maurisso, 57, of 28 Horizon Drive, Tiverton, was charged with driving while intoxicated (first offense) at about 8 p.m. Police pulled Mr. Maurisso’s Porsche over for speeding on West Main Road near West Passage Drive.

Sunday, Dec. 22

Sydney G. Fry, 18, of 65 St. Elizabeth St., Apt. 5, Bristol, was charged with driving after her license had been suspended or revoked. Police made the arrest after pulling her car over for speeding on Bristol Ferry Road near Barker’s Lane at about 2:15 a.m.

Police responded to McCorrie’s Beach around 3:30 p.m. for a report of illegal dumping after a resident said some sand smelled like gasoline. Police located about five to 10 pounds of a product that appeared to be SpeedyDry that had apparently been used to clean up either oil or gasoline. The product appeared to have been dumped in two other areas at the beach.The R.I. Department of Environmental Management told police that because the amount of the product was below five gallons, it did not pose a severe biohazard.


Related posts