Portsmouth police: Drunk couple ignores warning, arrested

Portsmouth police: Drunk couple ignores warning, arrested


PORTSMOUTH — Here are some highlights from the Portsmouth police log from over the past week.

Portsmouth police patchMonday, Dec. 23

Ronald J. Wicks, 28, of 114 East Main Road, was charged on a bench warrant issued by Second District Court. Police made the arrest after responding to Mr. Wicks’ home at about 10 a.m.

Kristi L. Amaral, 29, of 150 Marchand St., Fall River, was charged with operating with a suspended or revoked license after her car seas pulled over on West Main Road around 9:15 p.m. because a tail light was broken. Police said Ms. Amaral also had an active bench warrant against her that had been issued by Second District Court.

Tuesday, Dec. 24

Michael J. Ellis, 38, of 96 Jo Anne Ave., Portsmouth, was arrested on a bench warrant issued from Second District Court. Police made the arrest at Mr. Ellis’ home around 1:10 a.m.

Wednesday, Dec. 25

Police responded to a report of two suspicious-looking males walking in the area of Rhode Island Boulevard and Anthony Road around 2:20 a.m. They were described as wearing ski masks, dark-colored hoodies, white gloves and backpacks. Police didn’t find anything and there was no evidence that any homes or vehicles had been tampered with, according to police. However, officers did find a gold, seven-speed Kent bicycle at the intersection of Common Fence Boulevard and Anthony Road. They secured the bike, which had a significant amount of rust damage to its chain, and brought it back to the station. It wasn’t known whether the bike had been taken from a residence or abandoned at the intersection.

Thursday, Dec. 26

Graehme A. Field, 25, of 17 Cranston Ave., Newport, was arrested on a bench warrant from Second District Court. He was a passenger in a car pulled over on West Main Road at Melville School around 7:35 p.m. because its brake light and plate light were out.

Friday, Dec. 27

Two “highly intoxicated” people were arrested after they left an Island Park bar and hopped into a car around 1:15 a.m., according to police. According to police, officers spotted the man and woman walking toward a vehicle parked behind Tremblays Cafe, and warned them not to drive off. Shortly afterward, however, an officer saw the pair in a car traveling northbound in the southbound breakdown lane of Park Avenue. The car was pulled over near Circle Motors shortly before 1:30 a.m. The operator was identified as James R. Danenberg, 32, of 47 Hargraves Drive and his passenger as Meryl L. McGaw, 30, of 22 Riverside St. Police said they smelled alcohol on Mr. Danenberg’s breath and his speech was slurred and his eyes bloodshot. Ms. McGaw was sitting on a curb and began to act disorderly, yelling profanities at officers, according to police. After his arrest, Mr. Danenberg intentionally struck his head against the cell bar, causing a cut to his forehead. When Portsmouth Fire Department personnel arrived to perform medical treatment, police said Mr. Danenberg struck a police officer and had to be tasered. He was charged with driving while intoxicated (second offense) and assault, while Ms. McGaw was charged with disorderly conduct and obstructing police in the execution of their duties.

Saturday, Dec. 28 

Carlos D. Silvera, 42, of 301 Dillon Ave., Swansea, was arrested on a bench warrant issued from Second District Court. Mr. Silvera was a passenger in a car that was stopped for speeding shortly before 8 a.m. on Turnpike Avenue.

A deer was killed when it ran out in front of a car driven by Christin Keith of Middletown on West Main Road at Bayview Apartments around 7:50 p.m. The car sustained damage to its driver’s side door and window.