Portsmouth police arrest man for fighting inside moving car

Portsmouth police arrest man for fighting inside moving car


portsmouth-policePORTSMOUTH — Here are some highlights from the Portsmouth police log over the past week:

Tuesday, Aug. 20

Police responded to the area of West Main Road and Cory’s Lane around 7 a.m. for a report of a vehicle that was on fire. Police arrived to find a 1996 Ford Explorer with its hood engulfed in flames. The operator was standing off to the side of the road, unharmed. Firefighters arrived moments later to extinguish the blaze.

Donald L. Howarth, 42, of 13 Pleasant St., Assonet, Mass., was charged with driving after his license had been suspended or revoked. Mr. Howarth’s car was stopped on West Main Road near West Main Pizza shortly before midnight because its red plate light was out. Police said Mr. Howarth also had an active for his arrest for failure to appear to answer charges brought by Tiverton police.

Saturday, Aug. 24

Trevor J. Harper, 23, of 14 Debra Drive, was charged with driving while intoxicated (first offense) and refusal to submit to a chemical test. Police said they observed Mr. Harper pushing a motorcycle in the right-hand lane of West Main Road near Stringham Road at around 1:45 a.m. He appeared unstable on his feet and was having trouble walking with the motorcycle, which he said fell over while he was riding it, police said. The motorcycle was very warm to the touch, indicating it had been operated recently, police said.

Police said vandals damaged the door and door handle to the Newport Water Department pump house at St. Mary’s Pond. Police responded to the pump house just before 6 p.m. after getting a complaint.

Sunday, Aug. 25

Arron D. Cagle, 25, of 989 East Main Road, Apt. 28, Middletown, was charged with disorderly conduct (fighting/tumultous behavior), after a patrol officer observed a fight in progress inside a vehicle traveling south on West Main Road near Mailcoach Road around 1 a.m. Police said a male party in the front passenger seat was standing over another man, throwing punches to his head. Police stopped the car on Union Street near West Main Road and the driver got out, holding his hands to his mouth. He said his two friends were drunk and became combative as he was driving them home. The driver told police he got hit in the mouth by Mr. Cagle when he tried to break up the fight.

Monday, Aug. 26

Brian Woodhead, assistant director for the Department of Public Works, reported that the Madison Way street sign had been stolen at some point in the previous several days.

Cameron M. Taylor, 22, of 25 Dexter St., was charged with domestic disorderly conduct at about 8:30 a.m. Police made the arrest after responding to a 911 hangup call from the home.