Barrington police officer praised for work in Wednesday night car chase

Barrington police officer praised for work in Wednesday night car chase


barrington-police-cruiser - stockimage

Barrington Police Chief praised the work of a local police officer involved in a car chase Wednesday night.

Patrolman Timothy Oser was driving on New Meadow Road at about 11 p.m. when he found a black Nissan Maxima parked near Mallard Cove. The vehicle matched the description of an all points bulletin issued that evening by Bristol Police.

When Officer Oser activated his cruiser’s lights, the vehicle reportedly took off towards Swansea. Officer Oser reportedly followed the vehicle down Warren Avenue into Seekonk where officers from that town joined the pursuit.

Officer Oser reportedly observed the vehicle traveling as fast as 80 miles per hour along Warren Avenue.

The vehicle soon flipped over in the parking lot of In Motion Motor Sports on Route 6 in Seekonk after colliding with a snow bank. The vehicle also reportedly struck other vehicles.

Barrington Police later charged the driver of that vehicle, Dashan Hodge, 23, of Providence with a felony count of eluding a police officer and a felony count of possessing a stolen motor vehicle.

Chief LaCross said Officer Oser did a good job pursuing the vehicle, backing away enough to keep track of the car while maintaining safety.

According to Bristol Police Department Deputy Chief Steven Contente, police were called to 217 Wood Street on Wednesday night after a neighbor saw a man on the fire escape at that address.

When police arrived, the man was inside a common area of the apartment complex. A resident there told police that he knew the man, as well as a second man who was present. When it was determined that no crime had occurred, the parties were released and police left the area.

Shortly thereafter, a tenant at 217 Wood Street called police to report that a gun was found hidden in the hallway of the apartment complex. Bristol police issued a bulletin to be on the lookout for the 1997 Nissan Maxima the men were driving.

When officers spotted the vehicle on Hope Street, they signaled for the car to stop. Instead, the vehicle sped off, leading police north on Hope Street. Police followed the vehicle onto Main Street in Warren though officers reportedly lost sight of the car until it was spotted in Barrington.

Dep. Chief Contente said that the car the men were driving was reported stolen the day before in Providence.

Chief LaCross said Mr. Hodge has been cooperative with police.