PROVIDENCE — With a severe winter storm on the way that some weather forecasters already are calling a storm of historic proportions, National Grid has started preparing for widespread, prolonged power outages that could result from the predicted blizzard-like conditions. Although the path of the storm is still being monitored, we are taking steps to ensure we are prepared for this storm and we want to make sure that you are too.
Be prepared by creating an emergency kit:
- Water. The American Red Cross recommends one gallon of water per person per day
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Battery-powered or hand – crank radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers
Please remember that should you lose power during the storm, restoration may not happen immediately. Given the scale of the storm , with high wind and deep snow conditions , we must first ensure the safety of our crews and linemen. We will have hundreds of additional crews and support resources able to begin work around the clock to restore service but only once it is safe for them to do so. Please be prepared for extended outages by having the items listed above and also by staying connected.
We urge you to stay connected
In addition to Outage Central
, National Grid offers a number of ways for customers to report outages or learn about restoration efforts and important safety information.
- Outage reporting hotline – Call 1-800-465-1212 to report an outage.
- Text messages – Customers can receive text message alerts by texting the word STORM to NGRID (64743). Customers can opt out at any time by texting the word STOP to NGRID (64743).
- Find us on Facebook or Twitter to connect with us and other customers. You can also view images from the field, get safety tips and the latest updates on our restoration efforts.
Remember, if your power goes out, you can access our mobile website by going to nationalgrid.com on your mobile phone. There you will be able to report outages, check the status of your outage, view outage maps, view important messages and access safety tips.
Add to favorites