The Westport Cultural Council has announced the recipients of the Helen E. Ellis Charitable Trust awards for 2014. This grant has provided $22,723 to the following 18 organizations for full or partial funding of their programs:
• Allen’s Pond/Southcoast Sanctury : Wildlife lecture at Stone Barn Farm, $650
• Westport Elementary School: Fourth grade museum trip to RISD, $905
• Westport Macomber PTO: Author workshop for Elementary and Macomber schools, $2,000
• Dartmouth Grange #162: Stage improvements, $1,880
• Westport Free Public Library: Puppeteer/Time Machine, $310
• Westport Elementary School:Marionette performance; $900
• Westport River Watershed Alliance: River Day 2014, $2,000
• Westport Historical Society: Interpretive panels, $2,500
• Greater Tiverton Community Chorus: Christmas concert, $1,528
• Betty Slade/Westport Historical Commission: Mapping and data entry, $1,000
• Westport Land Conservation Trust: Concert by Cheryl Wheeler at Town Farm, $2,000
• Concerts on the Point: Muir String Quartet, 1,500
• Westport Fisherman’s Association: Museum panels, $1,000
• Allegro Chamber Players/Westport Library: Family concert, $350
• Westport Art Group: Exhibit of student work,$300
• Dartmouth Community TV/cable: Public film for 350th, $500
• SouthCoast Artists: Open Studios , $2,000
• WCC Film Festival: Summer Festival three films, $1,400.
Helen Ellis, a Westport resident for over 50 years, was an artist and dedicated educator. After her death, the proceeds from her estate were used to establish the Helen E. Ellis Charitable Trust. This Trust supports Ms. Ellis’ dream of inspiring others to develop their creative talents.
Administered by Bank of America, the Trust provides funding to the Westport Cultural Council for projects that benefit Westport residents. The Westport Cultural Council has given over $340,000 of grant money to individuals and organizations in the Westport community to support the arts and humanities since 1992.