About 1,500 plastic eggs — they were empty but the children traded them in for candy — were “seeded” on the lawn behind the old farmhouse.
Besides separate egg hunts for toddlers and older kids, the youngsters were also treated to storytelling, games, refreshments and, of course, photos with the Easter Bunny.
Admission was free, but donations to The Friends of the Brown House were welcomed. The group is trying to raise funds to renovate the Brown House for use as a cultural community center dedicated to the enhancement of the Glen Farm complex.
The home was built and used as a farm house for Leonard Brown in the mid 1800s. Mr. Brown worked as a wheelwright and blacksmith until he acquired his father-in-law’s farm. By 1888 Mr. Brown was known as one of the best farmers in Portsmouth.
The farm was purchased by Henry A.C. Taylor in 1902 and the home was used as a support residence for Glen Farm until the early 1950s when the Taylor family began renting it out as income property. The home remained a rental property until 1988, when the town purchased Glen Farm.
For more information about The Brown House, click here.