Former fire station under renovation in Westport

Former fire station under renovation in Westport

An electrician from G. Feigo Co. Inc. of Westport works on the former south-end Westport fire station, which is being renovated into office space and an apartment.

After sitting empty for two years, the former south-end fire station is being transformed.

NLB Enterprises is renovating the building on Main Road into office space and an apartment. Home of the original Westport fire station, opened in 1932, the stone and wood building was built in the 1920s, with an addition built by students from Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School in the 1970s.

According to the owner of NLB Enterprises, the interior requires a lot of reconstruction as well as significant work on the concrete masonry exterior. Workers are also redoing all the electricity and repointing the chimney. The structure of the building is reportedly in good shape.

Tripp Custom Builders of Westport is the general contractor for the renovation.

A one-bedroom apartment is going in on the second floor, and one commercial unit on the first floor. There is a business ready to move in, but the NLB Enterprises’ owner declined to say what type of business will be in the building.

A plaque will be placed on the building noting its history as the town’s first fire station and that the land was donated for that use by the Wood family.

It served as the town’s south-end fire station through July 2010, until the new fire headquarters was opened on Hixbridge Road.

The owner says renovations should be complete by the end of the year, if not sooner.