The Barrington Preservation Society will present its annual plaquing program on Wednesday, Feb. 5 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium on the second floor of Peck Library.
Elizabeth “Bonnie” Warren, chairwoman of the plaquing committee and past society president, will present plaques to five Barrington houses that are more than one hundred years old and still retain their original architectural character.
This year’s list of homes to be plaqued includes:
• The ca. 1763 Joseph Allen, Jr. house at 153 George St. on Nockum Hill, recently named to the National Register of Historic Places. Owners: Jason and Christine Lawrence.
• The ca. 1769 General Thomas Allin house at 20 Lincoln Ave. Owners: Nathaniel L. and Julie S. Taylor.
• The 1897 Mary Eliza Dyer house at 8 Holly Lane on Rumstick Point. Owners: Stephen E. and Caroline K. Tortolani.
• The 1911 Lena L. Mathews house at 32 Fountain Ave. in the “Drownville Plat.” Owner: Nancy L. Tobias
• The 1913 Lucian H. Hunt house at 48 Washington Road in West Barrington. Owners: Jeffrey and Dorie P. Balch.
The Barrington Preservation Society established this educational program in 1965 to celebrate Barrington’s rich history, first as a Native American camp, then as an agricultural settlement and summer community and ultimately as a commuter suburb.
The plaques include the name of the original builder and date of construction. This year’s honorees include a General’s elegant homestead, a pre-Revolutionary farmhouse, a large summer “cottage”, a laceworker’s home and the home of a tradesman. Two of the plaques are being reissued after research revealed that the houses were older than originally indicated.
Following the awards, Barrington architect David Andreozzi, will present an illustrated talk on “An Architect’s Path Towards the Relevance of the Contemporary Vernacular.”
Mr. Andreozzi graduated from Barrington High School in 1979, earned his art and architecture degrees at Rhode Island School of Design and currently has his practice based in Barrington while he lives in Bristol. He has served as chairman of the Bristol Historic District Commission and currently holds the National Chairmanship for the American Institute of Architect’s Custom Residential Architects Network and was recently appointed to the board of the New England Institute of Architecture and Art.
The plaquing program is free and open to the public.