A single family home on Washington Street went up in flames last night. No one was home at the time.
Bristol firefighters responded to 78 Washington St., across from Guiteras Elementary School, around 11:30 p.m. Nov. 25, for a report that the roof was on fire. Flames could be seen coming from a skylight in the roof.
According to an arson investigator, tenants of the four-bedroom house are students at Roger Williams University. The students had left the house earlier in the evening, later telling authorities they had smelled smoke when they left. Upon their return, they found the home engulfed in flames.
The cause of the fire is believed to be faulty wiring from an overhead light fixture. It started in one of the bedrooms on the second floor.
According to the Town of Bristol’s Geographic Information System map (GIS), the home is owned by Anthony P. LaRose, a former criminology professor at Roger Williams University who now teaches at the University of Tampa.
The house suffered considerable structural damage and was boarded up for safety precautions.