East Providence runners complete Boston Marathon before explosions

East Providence runners complete Boston Marathon before explosions


BOSTON — Two runners from the city, Matthew Lagor and Thomas Wharton, completed the 2013 Boston Marathon Monday, April 15, roughly within an hour of at least two explosions that rocked the downtown area of the city.

Mr. Lagor finished in a time of 3 hours, 36 minutes and 17 seconds, 7937th in the field. Mr. Wharton finished in 3:38.19, 9735th.

The marathon began at 9 a.m. Monday with disabled and wheelchair participants. The bulk of the runners, including at the elite level, began the event at its traditional location in Hopkinton between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. The explosions took place at approximately 3 p.m. Marathon officials announced of the 23,326 official starters, 17,584 finished the race.

A city resident, Adam Rego, was in attendance Monday. Mr. Rego, 17, was with a group of LaSalle Academy track and field runners who ventured to Boston to take in the marathon.

In an email exchange, Mr. Rego said he and contingent were in the area of the start-finish line on Boylston Street where one of the explosions occurred roughly 10 to 15 minutes prior to the blast. Mr. Rego, like most on the ground Monday, had no idea of the severity of the event.

“We were at the other end of Boylston Street when it happened. We just thought it was a truck (backfiring) or something like that,” young Mr. Rego wrote.

Public transportation, bridges and tunnels leading in and out of Boston were immediately shut down by law enforcement officials. Mr. Rego and many spectators, visitors to the city remained within its limits as of early Monday evening, unable to exit.

According to the sports website SB Nation, the race course is a point-to-point route, starting in Hopkinton, Mass., and ending in Copley Square in Boston. The 26.2-mile run takes athletes through Ashland, Framingham, Natick and Wellesley before heading into the Newton Hills — including Heartbreak Hill — and eventually the finish line in Boston.

The New York Post, as of about 5 p.m. Monday, was reporting some 12 died in the blasts and at least 50 people were injured. The Post is also reporting a suspect, a Saudi Arabian National apparently injured during the events, was being held by authorities in hospital.

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis refused to confirm the NY Post account.

Track runners participating in this year’s race at the marathon website, http://www.baa.org/individual.html