East Providence Fire Department contains fire at Taunton Plaza Apartments

taunton plaza

EAST PROVIDENCE — East Providence Fire Department personnel quickly contained a small fire inside a residence at the Taunton Avenue Apartment complex mid-afternoon Thursday, Jan. 16.

EPFD Chief Oscar Elmasian said crews arrived on the scene at approximately 3:30 p.m. First on site was Engine 5. Once inside, firefighters were greeted by “heavy smoke” in a second floor unit, according to the chief, who said personnel quickly established a bathroom ceiling fan had caught fire.

Chief Elmasian said it took firefighters only minutes to contain the fire and ascertain it had not spread any further in the building, which has a large number of elderly occupants, but needed time to clear it of the smoke.

No injuries were reported, according to the chief. Upon the fire department’s departure from the scene, Chief Elmasian said it was uncertain if the occupant of the unit was displaced.

The fire, which initially reached the two-alarm level, occurred on the Whelden Avenue side of the building, known by many as both the original home of East Providence High School and then as Central Junior High.

Authors

Related posts

Top