For the third straight year, attendees at the annual home show will have the opportunity to tour a full-sized house built on-site. This year, the 2,000-square-foot Cape-style model house will be equipped with the latest home appliances, courtesy of Bristol-based Gil’s Television and Appliances.
The local company has a long history with the RI Home Show. “We’ve actually had a booth at the RI Home Show since 1997, and we contributed our appliances to last year’s model house,” said Gail Parella, co-owner of the family-owned business in operation since 1961. Fourteen years ago, Ms. Parella and her sister, Lisa Sienkiewicz, took over Gil’s Television and Appliances, which was started by their parents.
“Attendees touring the model house can expect to see a new Frigidaire French Door refrigerator, a model that has been very popular,” Ms. Parella said. “The house will also feature a dishwasher with hidden controls, as well as an electric range stove with a convection oven that enables people to cook more food at the same time and more evenly.”
The featured appliances are ENERGY STAR-certified, which is consistent with the new addition of the Energy Expo in the 2014 RI Home Show line-up. “Our customers are generally pretty conscious about energy efficient products,” Ms. Parella said.
Sponsored by National Grid and the RI Energy Efficiency Resource Management Council, the new Energy Expo offers RI Home Show patrons access to:
- Free seminars on home energy assessment, home energy reports, solar-powered homes, alternative home heating options, alternative fuel vehicles, and National Grid’s School Fundraiser program
- Free demonstrations on high-tech thermostats, air-tightness testing, and DIY pipe insulation
- Information about energy-saving products and services from 100 energy efficiency vendors
- Kids’ Energy Corner, a fun and imagination-provoking space where children can learn about energy
- A chance to win a $5,000 Energy Home Makeover
“This year, we will be giving away discounts and rebates from some of our manufacturers,” Ms. Parella said. “Though some attendees may not be ready to purchase products right away, we encourage them to come find out what’s available.”
2014 RI Home Show Admission and Showtimes
- • Thursday, April 3 (3-9 p.m.)
- • Friday, April 4 (3-9 p.m.)
- • Saturday, April 5 (10 a.m. – 9 p.m.)
- • Sunday, April 6 (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
Tickets are available at the door: Adults: $10 / Seniors: $8 (free admission for children 15 and under).