Loading...
You are here:  Home  >  News  >  Current Article

Bad algae still infests Portsmouth’s St. Mary’s Pond

By   /   September 7, 2012  /   Be the first to comment

PORTSMOUTH — State health officials advise individuals to avoid contact with untreated waters from St. Mary’s Pond in Portsmouth. The pond has experienced a continued algal bloom that may form naturally occurring algal toxins.
Treated tap water originating from the pond is safe to touch and consume. Existing restrictions prohibit recreational activities such as swimming and boating. People should not eat fish from this body of water.
Pets can also be affected by exposure to the algal toxins and should not be allowed to drink this water or swim in it.
This blue-green algae, known as cyanobacteria, has the potential to form the naturally occurring toxins known as Microcystin and Anatoxin. Although no toxins have been found at this time, it is important that the public avoid contact with untreated waters.

The toxins can cause skin rashes and irritation of the nose, eyes, and/or throat . If water containing algal toxins is ingested, health effects include stomach ache, diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.

FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites
    Print       Email

About the author

Sakonnet & Westport Editor

Leave a Reply

You might also like...

eastbay tavern

State agency grants East Bay Tavern a second stay over East Providence City Council ruling

Read More →