“All clear” given after scare at Tiverton High School

TIVERTON — At 11:30 a.m. Thursday, officials made an “all clear ” announcement at Tiverton High School, Tiverton Police Department Captain Patrick Jones said minutes before noon today.

Students will not be asked to return to school today, he said, but normal school hours and scheduling will be in effect tomorrow, Friday.

The all clear, he said, followed an earlier evacuation that officials said was due to a bomb threat. Captain Jones said, “a message had been scrawled inside one of the student bathrooms.” He declined to say what exactly the message said, where it was scrawled, and whether it was in a boys’ or girls’ bathroom.

Captain Jones said the bomb scare call came in at 9:30 a.m., and that the school was thereafter locked down “for approximately two hours.” He said the Tiverton Police Department had an officer on duty in the school at the time (who is currently there on a part-time basis). The officer, Sergeant Ken Cabral, has formerly served as resource officer at the school.

Asked why all students were sent home, Superintendent of Schools William Rearick said, “Our safety protocols dictate how we handle these situations.  This is not the fist time students have been sent home from school.  By the time the building would have been cleared for reentry there would have been less than one hour left in the school day.  The representatives from the State Fire Marshall’s Office are the ones who make the decision about when a building can be reentered.”

Captain Jones said detectives have been assigned to look into the threat incident.

 

Top