Christmas in Warren
We’ve tried to give you a real Christmas edition this week, and we hope that it will please you. Now there’s one thing more you can do to please your neighbors and do your self and your town a good turn at the same time. Just look over the advertisers here, and give them the benefit of your custom. It will help them, it will help us, and it won’t do you a bit of harm.
• Right opposite the head of Joyce street is the Warren Five and Ten cent store. At this time there is an especially large stock of Christmas goods, and the beauty of all these pretty things is that you will find although they are so attractive they are not expensive. See if they don’t suit you.
• Have you noticed that the store of Charles J. Besaw has been enlarged? There is space for the Christmas goods, and they are of a kind that will show well for a long time after Christmas.
• The Warren Shoe Co. has something to show in the way of Christmas presents that will please you. Don’t for a minute think that because their goods are strictly useful they are not the thing for Christmas. Nothing better, and if you will take the trouble to call there the gentlemanly force in attendance will be glad to convince you.
• L.P. Bosworth suggests that the good old standby of a ton of coal will make an ideal Christmas present. Well, won’t it? It is certainly a warm suggestion, although there may be a dark color to it.
• The new Modern Grocery has made big strides in public favor since it has started, and the proprietor is certainly doing his best to please his patrons. The Christmas groceries there are all fresh and attractive as you can see for yourself.
• The Cloverdale has long been a favorite place at which to trade, and never has the stock been better than it is at present.
• You won’t realize how many things there are in the Big Store, so-called, unless you go there and see for yourself. Better get around before Christmas and see for yourself.
• Of course you have noticed the little ads of the New York store. Well, there are many little bargains mentioned in them that it will pay you to remember.
• When you want anything in the line of hardware of course you will go to Sparks’ store, but especially just now for the sake of the boys and girls who want sleds and skates you should see the big assortment of these goods on hand. The display of jack-knives will delight any boy.
• There is a special aptness in a Christmas present of jewelry. Right on Main street will be found the jewelry store of Arthur J. Maker, and his assortment of watches, bracelets, rings, pins and other jewelry is worth seeing.
Safer Christmas trees
The use of electrically lighted Christmas tree ornaments removes that danger of fire. And on the other hand the many varied fancy lights, beautifully executed, now on display in our show rooms, will delight and amaze the children and enable you to make the Christmas Tree a veritable wonder of light and beauty. Bring the children to see the wonderful illuminated church, the trees bearing beautiful illuminated fruits, nuts and birds in all their gorgeous plumage, the hot-house with the illuminated flowers, the illuminated snowman, the clown, the dog and the cat in the yard and the chicken in the chicken coop, all of which compose a remarkable miniature creation now on display in our showroom. — Narragansett Electric Lighting Company
A Christmas poem
If a pretty girl were standing ‘neath a sprig of mistletoe, with her roguish eyes a-twinkle and her rounded cheeks aglow. If a pretty girl were waiting, shy, expectant, coy and glad, would you turn and run like Sixty, and if so, which way, my lad?
A lively fire by the side of the railroad, just south of the crossing at South Main street, occupied the attention of a number of men and a few small boys on Tuesday afternoon. It was extinguished without serious damage It couldn’t have been set by a spark from the engine, for there wasn’t any; and if there was any other sparkling on the road it must have been inside the cars. Therefore the origin remains a mystery, to all but the chap that set it.