Is considering a 12% Rate Increase for fiscal year 2014 (beginning March 2013), followed by a 4% revenue increase in FY 2015, a 4% revenue increase in FY 2016, a 4% revenue increase in FY 2017 and a 4% revenue increase in FY 2018.
A 12% rate increase would result in an approximate $4 per month increase to the average residential bill.
The Board has based this revenue increase on the 5 year Strategic Plan requirements:
- Maintain a secure source of high quality water The Child St. water treatment plant is to be utilized only for emergency back-up until an alternate supply from Pawtucket Water can be available. Cost reductions on only maintaining the plant and supplies has been incorporated in the 5 year plan, as well as costs for the Pawtucket supply.
- Adopt a plan to support long and short term infrastructure needs A 20 year capital plan was developed (includes 5 and 10 year plans) to maintain water quality and system reliability: cleaning & lining and replacement of water mains, secondary supply, pumping control systems and instrumentation, pump station upgrades, tank mixing systems, water system pressure improvements, equipment to improve operation efficiency, etc.
- Improve data management systems Replace obsolete financial and customer service systems with integrated financial work order, data collection and field information systems.
- Ensure financial stability Instituted aggressive cost reduction program and rate study to increase revenues. Created a financial model to reduce future rate increases to a minimum for the next 10 years.
- Improve customer relations Record Board meetings, improve response to customer issues, and improve metering and customer access to information, extend customer service hours.
The 12% increase reflects:
- Utility cost increases (electric, gas, fuel)
- 3 additional positions (from 5 vacant)
- The initiation of the Capital/ Infrastructure Replacement Plan
- Data management system
- Pension fund obligation
- Post retirement benefit reserve
- Conservation revenue decrease
A Public Hearing is scheduled for January 3, 2013 at 6:00 pm at the Warren Town Hall, Council Chambers, 514 Main St, Warren
A Board meeting is scheduled for January 9, 2013 at 5:15 pm at the Bristol County Water Authority, 450 Child St, WarrenAdd to favorites